Daily WTF

Keep the fun and games in here for now please :-)
Fred

Re: Daily WTF

Post by Fred »

I'm sorry that it took so long to get around to replying to this...
jbelanger wrote:And I didn't put the link because it took less time to find the thread in question that it took to write this sentence
Jean, that was not a sarcastic sentence. Link is an English language word too, not just a web term (short for hyperlink). I meant the thanks, for the pointer, the link, the reference, the guide, to where the information had gone. Again, thanks for pointing it out, not for the hyperlink (which wasn't necessary), but rather for the mental link.
And it's not as if the original code will break anything compared to the 'mariob' code since it's only a closed loop idle issue.
Well, actually, yes, for those that require a smooth idle under PID control, yes, it does break their setups, compared to the mariob code.
And your mild approach to forum maintenance has had me fuming a couple of times. And I'll be curious to see how that continues when you have an order of magnitude more posts and active topics, if that ever happens, and that you have to deal with people that are almost clueless and a pain about it.
Probably more strict on/off topic post/thread movement, and a play pit for those that want to go crazy.
Actually, I don't really care. I was hoping that this could be a nice alternative to what is available and that a nice clean competition could bring on some improvements on both sides.
I'm unsure how competition with an existing system can cause improvements in the new system, only vice versa. The new system knows no bounds, only those that it chooses as it evolves. What it will almost undoubtedly cause, though, is a price and margin reduction on MS and related products through non-single-source PCB manufacture on this side and the lower pricing that that allows.
But you make it impossible for people like me to be involved on both sides because you go out of your way to spit in people's face both publicly and behind the scenes so that they can't even chose to simply ignore you.
What has my opinion and behaviour got to do with the open source project which I contribute to, exactly? Anyone would think that it and I are one and the same. That would only be true if someone planned to milk my work without becoming a major contributor, I guess.
So have fun with your project and I hope you can mature one of these days (but I don't think this message will have any positive impact on this).
Well, I see you've not logged in since the 13th of May, so I'll take this as a goodbye! Thanks for helping me through the earlier days, your contributions have always been highly valued and very important here. Fortunately now I'm less of a noob and need less of a guiding force, so I (and FreeEMS) will be fine without you, if you choose to stay gone.

As for the maturing, you're just being short sighted, any perceived immaturity is a conscious act. This project is only partly a technical one. A big part of it is politics and morals and values (the latter two lacking elsewhere). I see it as my duty to educate the automotive world in the disservice that they have been done by the MS crowd over the years. Just as much as writing code. You could say that the system is the mechanism for that education. Indeed, to lead by example is a good way to lead.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

"The way we are setting up the math I'm not sure we need anything but 8 bit, at least for the main tuning tables."

ROFL. (Not MS, BTW)
Costa
Banned!

Post by Costa »

The MS sites look a bit different today. :lol:
Attachments
www.msefi.com
www.msefi.com
previously: ca7
Fred

Post by Fred »

Jesus, don't visit it, it does some funky stuff to your browser! LOL
Fred

Post by Fred »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr595gb-oMM - just so that you don't have to take the risk!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Megamanual and other non msefi.com sites are ALSO affected, beware!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

It's also not the first time. I have (and use) a catch all for the part of the e-mail address before the @, I register different names with different folks. The address I used for the msefi forum(s) gets spammed on a semi regular basis. Normally one wouldn't know they are getting spammed because of the poor msefi administration, however I've only ever given that address to them, so I know it has to be coming from them.

I guess their web page rivals their product.
Fred

Post by Fred »

jharvey wrote:I guess their web page rivals their product.
ROFL!!! It's true that it's not the first time. Lance is too busy getting angry about people running engines with MS extra to admin properly :-)
preludelinux
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by preludelinux »

Hmmm now when your forum posts disappear they can blame hackers instead of censorship!
Fred

Post by Fred »

MarkE: "Have you got a plan to mount the crank and cam sensors? The cam sensor seem the hardest but if it's an OHC engine I guess you could pick up the lobe itself." ROFL.