Pies!! (56k, maybe)

Keep the fun and games in here for now please :-)
Fred

Pies!! (56k, maybe)

Post by Fred »

I've just discovered something wonderful in London!

PIES!! Oh yes, that's right, steak and cheese pies, and NOT SHlT either!

http://www.squarepie.co.uk

Importantly, check out the description for their steak and cheese pie :
Steak & Cheese: The Kiwis' favourite, and almost as popular as Crowded House Down Under. Steak, mature cheddar, onion, gravy... four seasonings in one day!
http://www.squarepie.co.uk/Pies

My customer feedback comment :
Hello purveyors of fine pies,

The gravy/vege section is sacrilege!! I understand that some may not respect the humble pie as much as they perhaps should and will therefore want to ruin your great pies with gravy and mashed spud etc, but you DEFINITELY need a bypass the veges to pay and eat steak and cheese IMMEDIATELY option available for pie purists such as myself.

Additionally, if you could stock your fridges with some cans of freshup, that would be excellent.

Is it possible to get a tab or account and pay in bulk? That way I could just rock in and pick up a steak and cheese pie whenever I felt like it without having to wait as much (~ 47% less wait?).

Lastly, thank you for providing the first steak and cheese pie I have even seen for sale in NS-GB. I was sceptical about the quality of the pies before I took my first bite, but they are indeed just as good as the ones that cost 6 times less at the corner shop in Auckland. Demand vs. supply = I am now your customer (and happy about it).

If a pay in bulk for a discount deal is possible, please get in contact. I'll be willing to consume somewhere between 1 and 7 per week EVERY week for the next 8 months or so.

Regards,

Fred.
Thursday was possibly the best day of eating I have had since my arrival here. I got a pie for lunch, and a kiwi burger from GBK for dinner with beetroot, avocado and double salad/relish. It wasn't quite burger fuel, but it was pretty damn good (no kumara chips though)

Pie eating (second one on friday) :

2 x russians out of sight. 1 x pole on the left. 2 x ozzies straight and right. 1 x happy kiwi with a steak and cheese pie gloating because they were all eating crappy bank cafeteria food! suckers! :-)

Oh, and the best bit was that I was telling a few tall tales about various things and one included a fast wombat. The ozzies had a great laugh (me too) about me thinking wombats could move quickly. I asked if they'd seen one outside a cage at all. They continued to take the piss out of me in a big way... until we got back to the office and google proved that they can do 40kph LOL. I linked them to the page and the funny one (on the right) said that it wasn't surprising as ozzies are always good at sport. I replied that that was true, they were good sports, especially when proved wrong by a kiwi LOL.

GBK Burger (thursday evening after having the first pie for lunch) :

Retrospective pie pics :

I just had to share my joy. I really do LOVE pies!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
davebmw
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Pies!! (56k, maybe)

Post by davebmw »

Its usually the bigger boned individual that craves pies with such a passion! ;)
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
Fred

Post by Fred »

I have a metabolism similar to my engine, ie, I consume a lot of food while not going anywhere much ;-)

If you saw my old man's gut you'd probably be thinking that it's only a matter of time before the effects of excess pie started to take their toll. You could even be right, but I'll be trying hard to ensure you aren't.

Thing is, I never could sit still, so even a desk job burns a fair bit for me. I try to snack on fruit where possible though as too much crap definitely has bad effects.

Next time you are in London find a shop and get a steak n cheese. If you don't like it I'll swim the english channel naked and coated in shark nip.

Fred.
davebmw
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by davebmw »

Actually I'm in London tomorrow evening and most of tuesday!

a colleague and I are traveling at about 1400hrs to get to the Wembly plaza Hilton by about 1700hrs we are staying there for the night and going to a National Instruments LabView expedition in Savoy place, by the embankment.
That finishes at 1700 and we will be tubing it back to the hotel for a quick getaway back to South Wales.

Is there said pie shop near there?? Will you be anywhere near either place??
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
Fred

Post by Fred »

http://www.squarepie.co.uk/Square%20Pie%20shops

I'm not sure about which one is closest to savoy place, but there is plenty of time for you to get a pie in London in the future. I'm at Liverpool street, but it seems like you won't be wanting to hang around after the show (and fair enough!!) so...

Wembley on the other hand... my train goes through every day on it's way to Marylebone. PM me your room number or whatever I need to know and I'll come and bug you tomorrow night after I finish work. It should be a short trip from the wembley rail station to the hotel I would imagine.

Best resend your cell number too, I've lost it.

I'll send you mine now :-)

Fred.
longracing
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by longracing »

If you like good food like that you should try BiteMe Burgers http://www.bitemeburgerco.com/menu/menu

Have a look at the MEGA Bite (about halfway down the menu),
"Eat Me if you can ... this is the big one! A pound (450g) of delicious grain-fed beef topped with melted cheddar cheese, bacon, vine-ripened tomato, iceberg lettuce, diced onion, pickles & your choice of tomato ketchup or Bite Me BBQ sauce. Served on a giant bun "

Trust me it is big! :D
Fred

Post by Fred »

Yep, looks good, plenty of good places to eat in Auckland too :-) Trouble is, I'm not in Auckland or Bondi Beach, I'm in London... :-p and good food is more difficult to come by.

Fred.
longracing
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by longracing »

I can imagine :lol2:
I remember a cartoon on a friends fridge that went something like
"Now remember, english food isn't just fish & chips...
...we also have pie & chips"

Now wasn't there that place in London that does deep-fried Mars bars? It was at the end of a documentary called.... umm... "Super-Size Me" ;)
Fred

Post by Fred »

OMFG, this is TERRIBLE!!!!! :-(

My steak n cheese pie had a suspiciously small amount of cheese in it today. In fact, it also had a suspiciously large amount of the sort of stuff I dig out from between my toes after walking the streets of London for 18 hours. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the slackers at spitalfields square pie served me up a steak n toe-jam pie today. AKA steak n mushroom.... NOT good.

In other news, I just spotted this :
Look above for a sample of a burger from them. It is indeed decent, but the meat is still brit and the meat here is rubbish overall.

^ damn! I just used the term rubbish to describe something as sub par. I'm being integrated AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Back to the grind stone.