Greetings!

Keep the fun and games in here for now please :-)
theMightyCasper
TO92 - Vaguely active

Greetings!

Post by theMightyCasper »

I really just want to introduce myself and let everyone know how awesome this project is (but it's not like you're unaware of the latter). My name is Jeff and I like to tinker with electronics, cars, drums, etc. - whatever I can get my hands on really. Other than to support this community and help spread the word, I joined because I have two potential vehicles to add to the success story list eventually.

I'll be doing a conversion on my 1968 Corvette to an LS1/T56 drivetrain (hopefully starting that conversion late this year) but first up is my 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe. Currently the Plymouth is all original (it was a one owner car when we bought it), but it's way too expensive to keep it original and it's just not as functional for my needs anymore if it were to remain original. Ultimately, the goal is for the Plymouth to become daily driver capable and I'll sell my Mazda CX5. However, there is a LONG road ahead of me - and lots of issues I'm sure - with doing all of the conversions that will be necessary. I'm also doing everything in my garage by myself so it's more than likely to move pretty slowly. So, don't be surprised if there are a lot of questions during that time span! :lol2:

First up on the list is to continue reading about the Jaguar boards and trying to learn as much as I can about the basic structure of FreeEMS and the required hardware. While doing that I'll be pulling the existing drivetrain, patching the floor pans, building a custom wiring harness, and welding up some new motor mounts for the small block Mopar 360 that's likely to be transplanted. Later comes the disc brake conversion, front shock relocation, possible drop spindles, seat modifications for a rear pass through and 4-point harnesses, custom interior, etc... Essentially, a whole lot of work and my brain is reeling due to the prospects available since I stumbled upon FreeEMS. Well, time to get started! :shock:
Fred

Re: Greetings!

Post by Fred »

Welcome along! :-)

LS1 support is not available yet, though I'm keen to add it at some point. Generic support via a crank sensor is a good option for the old-school V8 :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
theMightyCasper
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by theMightyCasper »

Thanks! :)

I'll have the entire donor car (2000 Trans Am) to harvest all of the electronics from for the Corvette project so it's okay if there's no LS1 support yet. I should be able to get everything to work mostly like factory in order to get it moving. I'm working on assembling a cost breakdown for the Plymouth project though (Carb vs EFI) for the initial build phases. Since I'll have to piece it together by individual parts, I'd rather not have to buy multiple variations of parts to accommodate both fuel systems if I could just make FreeEMS work from the start.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Two Subaru wasted spark coils or 8 LS1 coils are good choices on a V8. A Bosch fuel pump with enough flow. Appropriate manifolds and sensors, done.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!