Another Michigander.

Keep the fun and games in here for now please :-)
Mongo408
TO220 - Visibile

Another Michigander.

Post by Mongo408 »

Hello from Michigan. I'm just a tech junky, computer nerd, and automotive enthusiast looking to obtain as well as share some info. I've been playing around with some ECU disassembly code for the past few months, hoping to be able to start tuning on my own.
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Another Michigander.

Post by Impregacy »

This is probably going to get moved, but hi, I'm from Michigan too. What area are you in? What ECUs you been working on?
Mongo408
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Mongo408 »

That's fine if it get's moved. Maybe I didn't see the introduction section. I'm in lower mid Michigan between Jackson and Ann Arbor. South of Lansing. I've been working on some old Chrysler ECU's. The problem is anybody that knows anything about them isn't really willing to share a whole lot of info. There's only a hand full of people that know how to do anything with them. I've been trying to reverse engineer them for a few months now.
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

cool. I used to work at Tenneco in Grass Lake. Now I am in Lansing.
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Hello, Mongo408 (and Impregacy).

Everyone in my family is from the Detroit region except me--the defiant Southerner. Mongo408, can you post a little more info about your Chrysler ECUs?

Attempting to reversing any modern proprietary ECUs may not be worth your time and will likely end up in frustration. You should check out the open hardware Jaguar and RavAGE projects on here if you'd like to learn solid fundamentals behind ECU design and functionality. Quite a few of us have built our own Jaguars at this point and it's been a great experience.

-Jeff
Mongo408
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Mongo408 »

I'm just about 10 minutes from Grass Lake and used to make frequent trips to Lansing to go bar hopping when I was younger. As far as the Chrysler ECUs go I've been working on the earlier 90's Dodge truck SBECs, mainly 1992-94. Much of these ECUs I have a good understanding of and how the code is structured. I know how identify tables inside of the code. I can see the 3D tables or the array of bytes that they're constructed of. So identifying tables really isn't the problem, it's trying to find out what they do.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome to both of you!

For those who intend to FreeEMS there is this thread: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1066

Perhaps we need another in the lounge for those without such an intention?

What is your intention?
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Mongo408
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Mongo408 »

Well, what brought me here was the name of the website, as it suggests "DIY" EFI. With that being said, I'm all about doing things myself. I've taken on the challenge of trying to reverse engineer the old Chrysler SBECII ECUs for nothing more than being able to tune my ECU without paying someone to do it for me. On the other hand I like the idea of building my own ECU so this may be the way to go for me.
Fred

Post by Fred »

To me DIY EFI means that you put it together yourself, among other trickle-down things. Not that you took a functioning system, figured it out, and retuned it to suit some mods. That's DIY alright, but that's DIY reverse-engineering, not EFI. Chrysler did your EFI system.

I looked around for a GP rev eng ECU forum, and found one that purported to be, but it only had sections for Subaru and Mitsubishi and wasn't actually very open at all. Perhaps I should add a section for that sort of thing, too. Maybe later, power took a dive here, and only have a little battery left.

If you do ever scrap the rev eng project (and make no mistake, that's a BIG project), let us know and we'll help you with what you need to get into FreeEMS (or something else).

I'll move this to the lounge later, too.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Mongo408
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Mongo408 »

Either way you describe DIY, it sounds quite appealing to me at I feel it's right up my alley. I'll be looking more into it in the near future.