Ideas For Cheap Fast Practical Trailer Boat

Keep the fun and games in here for now please :-)
Fred

Re: Ideas For Cheap Fast Practical Trailer Boat

Post by Fred »

Unsure if this belongs in this thread, the big boat thread, or the junk pile:

DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

A few things (some new, some reinforced) from a recent trip with a small boat being launched off of the beach:

1) A transom that rejects breaking waves is a good thing, little boats fill up pretty quickly with pretty small waves when being winched onto the trailer.
2) Impact resistance of the keel/middle is key for beach landings (highish speed up onto sand, winch onto trailer afterward)
3) A fine entry is key to comfort going fastish over any sort of chop at all. Surtees boats extend the forward 1/4 down deep and forward, almost like a mohawk
4) Impact resistance in other parts of the hull that can/will impact the trailer during a beach landing. Bottom from a thicker stronger ply with kevlar weave over the top?
5) The smaller the better, holding a 5m tinny in the waves is hard work for a little man like me, bigger would be near impossible, especially with any wind.
6) A trailer that puts the boat as low as possible is key. Airbagged or hydraulic or similar such that the deepest part is virtually touching the sand = ideal.
7) Downward deflection of all upward water movement not only provides more lift, but importantly, also keeps the occupants/gear dry, which is important in a small boat.
8) Comfortable rear facing seating for marlin fishing = essential in a small boat with no cabin to go and relax in.
9) Comfortable forward facing seating for motoring through waves = essential in a small boat with low mass and high movement from waves.
10) Good foot hold and thigh rest = essential for tracing, gaffing, and final parts of the fight (controlling the fish up to the boat)
11) Having two bungs is a pain, having no pump is a pain too. A rear sump on the deck and a single big pump to help move water out fast would be a HUGE help.
12) Water ingress to the front cabin area should be prevented via design, ie, a step up for the seats, and maybe another before the downward steps into the cabin.
13) Shelter from the sun and/or rain while motoring and/or trawling would be welcome, but I think I covered this in the above stuff anyway.
14) Seating on the exterior front of the cabin would be a winner, esp combined with the front deck walking space not needing to be expansive, really
15) Roof of cabin should not dump water over the side, instead it should catch it and direct it down a tube to prevent cockpit and cabin wetness
16) A high speed electric trailer winch, not out of laziness, out of "get boat on trailer before next wave floods it" and "wave outruns person turning winch handle and slackens line" etc.
17) ballast tanks that can be quickly emptied for planing but provide stability at rest, see Surtees design again.
18) things to pull yourself out of the water with = essential. Preferably without deploying a ladder, IE, off the cuff.
19) strakes(sp?) and/or keels = straight tracking through a seaway, the boat I was on had a smooth hull and would skew around semi-uncontrollably in waves while under power, kinda just sliding down them towards the lowest point. This is undoubtedly why most small boats have those bumps on them. Necessary for handling IMO. Likewise a keel that stops roughly in the middle will assist steering. A keel that protrudes too far aft will prevent it.
Front deck not a death trap IE, flat for walking/standing on, counter examples are easy to find
Saw a really nice example of this done on a 6.1m Surtees, but can't find pics online. I took a couple myself and will upload. It cut into cabin space, but not in a serious way, or so it seemed. The same boat had a nice wave deflector setup on it that I bet works great.
Deep V is OK with an outboard, but becomes a pain with a traditional drive line.
Deep V in the front tapering to flattish at the back seems to be a winner move if it can be made to work with my desired construction.

Expect some sketches and photos to accompany this post.

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Talking to slackercam about this the other night, and he said "polystyrene will just tear apart" in terms of using it as a sandwich core. Hmmm. My argument was that as long as it's strong enough, it's strong enough. Whcih is true, provided that it's true. Not my best argument ever :-p

Tonight I grabbed the old man's 5 horse 4 stroke honda outboard and attached it to my sister's man's alloy hulled inflatable. I went for a blat up the river and while on the plane noticed that the hull was flexing under me! I could see it wriggling with the waves, and when I say waves, I mean tiny ripples, really. Pretty much flat. This was a bit of a surprise as the family aquapro inflatable didn't ever do this (even catching 6 foot of air) and simply must be made of thicker alloy sheet.

So now I'm thinking of making a dinghy using this construction technique first, and then thrash the crap out of it with the 5 horse and see how it holds up. Cheaper experiment too, should it go wrong. :-p

While I was down in the river I gave the side of our boat a thump and found it to be *very* stiff/hard. I knew it was strong, but I never really thought about how stiff/hard it was, like that. A good hull has to be a bit impact resistant in general for floating wood etc, and broadly stiff/strong for hitting waves, so we'll see how my "high tech" dinghy holds up to some fun.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Maybe the test boat can be the first FreeEMS powered boat? Note "Programmed Ignition" label on the outboard, maybe I can replace it temporarily with FreeEMS power.

Fred

Post by Fred »

The engine for this project is now chosen by way of bad luck/mistakes made: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2532&p=39503#p39503

Seems like a good idea to start with the driveline, right? :-D
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fred wrote:Here's a photo of a similar looking boat, which I didn't realise this would be similar to until tonight. Except the propulsion, and front deck style it's looking to be virtually the same! :-/ That guy and I have very similar taste in boats. Similar background in fishing, too.

http://www.bluefixboatworks.co.nz/wp-co ... luefix.jpg
Reuploaded here, just in case:

And, this boat is for sale right now! Here's the link: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 512027.htm

"Asking price: $115,000 Or Near Offer
Listed: Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:01 pm

Listing #: 1071512027
BLUEFIX CUSTOM

Hull type: Wooden
Length: 7.40 Metres (24.27 Feet)
Year: 2004
Engine: 225 HP, Outboard
Engine year: 2008
Engine hours: 3600hrs
Boat location: Papakura City, Auckland

BLUEFIX CUSTOM SPORTS FISHER WITH 10.5 METRE WHANGAROA MARINA INCLUDED
Complete interior and exterior refit carried out by Bluefix Boatworks Kerikeri in 2013,
including a new paint job (interior and exterior) new non skid, new teak, new glass, automatic capstan (rope and chain), all new interior upholstery and wall linings, new toilet, new cooker draw, new bow rail.
Clears were replaced in 2012 and are in excellent condition, tuna tubes.
Yamaha 225 HP, Cyril Jordon game chair and outrigger bases and poles.
Double axle braked trailer in good condition.

Seller's Details
jojogaz (83 83 positive feedback)

100% positive feedback
Member since Jan 2008
Located in Papakura City, Auckland
Boat located in Papakura City, Auckland"

Image search has better pictures than the auction.