Hello World!

Keep the fun and games in here for now please :-)
sepp2gl
TO220 - Visibile

Hello World!

Post by sepp2gl »

Hi there!
yesterday I noticed this page.
As a new register I'd like to introduce myself.
I am 55 years old, live in Germany and work for an automotive OEM as an engineer in advanced powertrain engineering.
My background (long list as a professional of 30 years):
- controller h/w engineering, schematics, electr. components, PCB-layout, h/w testing
- controller s/w development in C, s/w-architectures and layering concepts
- controller function development in simulink
- EMS systems engineering
- Project management
- Quality Management
- IP Management
- engine technology

My project:
is an EMS for a yountimer motorbike, a Honda CB750K, MY1979.
Equipped with a Suzuki GSXR650 throttle-body with 8 injectors (4+4 staged) this needs an advanced controls solution.
Why I am doind it? Because I like doing it. Its my passion.

Nevertheless, making an engine controls system is nothing, that one person can do on his own all alone.
Especially if my professional career isn't over yet and time is rare.
So I am looking for people sharing the same passion and working on the different aspects as hobbyists, so that we can share our effords.

Why I like this endevour?
- open EMS software and hardware
- exclusive use of the open source tools on Linux OS
- requirements-based target setting
- intellectual property free development

My other hobbies:
- chess-playing
- music-listening (jazz-rock, art-rock and other complicated stuff)
- hifi (advanced amps, loudspeakers)
- Linux-PC connects me with the world

To be honest, I do not know how much time I will be able to dedicate to freeEMS, but I know most of the aspects of engine control and would like to offer my experience (as long as it doesn't conflict with my employer)

kr, sepp2gl

P.S.: is there anybody else from Germany contributing to freeEMS?
Everything keeps being better... ;)
Fred

Re: Hello World!

Post by Fred »

sepp2gl wrote:Equipped with a Suzuki GSXR650 throttle-body with 8 injectors (4+4 staged) this needs an advanced controls solution.
What do you have in mind? Staged injection with ITBs isn't simper per se, but it's also not advanced IMO.
Why I am doind it? Because I like doing it. Its my passion.
Of course :-)
Nevertheless, making an engine controls system is nothing, that one person can do on his own all alone.
12 runners say you're wrong, but it certainly takes a long time :-) (disclaimer, I had a little help, though only a little.)
So I am looking for people sharing the same passion and working on the different aspects as hobbyists, so that we can share our effords.
FYI, I'm a professional in the art of software engineering, only a "hobbyist" while holding a spanner/welder :-)
- exclusive use of the open source tools on Linux, Mac, and Windows
Fixed :-)
- intellectual property free development
There is no such thing! I (and others) have just been generous enough to share our IP with the world under liberal licenses.
To be honest, I do not know how much time I will be able to dedicate to freeEMS, but I know most of the aspects of engine control and would like to offer my experience (as long as it doesn't conflict with my employer)
Cool! Welcome along!
P.S.: is there anybody else from Germany contributing to freeEMS?
There are a few people in Germany interested and supportive.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
ehb
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ehb »

Hi Sepp, welcome!

I'm from Germany too and am planning to translate FreeEMS related tools into german, once it's possible. ;) I may need someone to check then...
Oh and I too have a need for several ECUs, so let us know when you're building a board ;)

Have a nice day.

Stefan
sepp2gl
TO220 - Visibile

Re: Before Starting New Hardware Projects...

Post by sepp2gl »

Hi Fred,
attached my Honda Boldor EMS draft as Freemind-Map.
Note: not all features/functions are equal in importance (e.g. MBT control) but thats my roadmap.
From h/w perspective Jaguar comes close to my needs.

kr, sepp2gl
Attachments
EFI750 System Map.mm
(11.8 KiB) Downloaded 1108 times
sepp2gl
TO220 - Visibile

Post by sepp2gl »

Hello Stefan,
good to see, that there is someone else in (good-old)Germay on track.
Sure I can check your doc translation into german. English is my 2nd mother tongue; I use it daily.

Concerning boards: I take it as Fred; I'll start with a good, complete plan before cutting iron and make a board.
Actually I was pretty far with an ignition board based on Renesas R8C (schematics and PCB in Protel).
The PCB was intended to fit into a small Bosch EZ127K enclosure. I developed this controller h/w in my Bosch days long ago for Audi.
Unfortunately there is only one 16bit timer to base all input-captures and output-compares on. So it took a long time of work, rework, re-rework until I realized, that it is not worth the efford to tweak-around this one-timer-weakness. Nevertheless: the R8C is a good controller for a lot of interesting things. I wrote a comprensive set of headers for the low-level programming for it; better than the Renesas stuff.

In the m.a. schematics I also define a set of I/O, that might be interesting for freeEMS.

T2US, Gerhard