The new car

Keep the fun and games in here for now please :-)
Dan
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

The new car

Post by Dan »

My brother has recently ordered one of these

http://www.toyota.com.au/86?WT.ac=Toyot ... av_Cars_86

I am insanely jealous! He bought the GTS model (upper model) in the mighty colour of Red!

The thought simply makes me drool!

He already has an original AE86 sprinter that is his current project car! It is housing a soon to be fire-breathing severely high-compression 4AGE with 20V quad throttles and some whizz-bang $2000 set of headers which he had hand made by some cool old dudes in a garage in japan. I cant wait to start tuning that beast either!

I myself am personally waiting for people to crash some so I can get my hands on the new breed of engine in these beasts! It is toyotas first horizontally opposed direct-injection engine the D-4S!

snip from link above about D-4S engine:
In a world first, Toyota's D-4S system has been applied to the horizontally-opposed Boxer engine, making the 86 incredibly responsive, helping to Improve power output and making each drop of fuel work even harder.

The D-4S system combines injectors that inject fuel at high pressure directly into the cylinders, together with conventional injectors, injecting fuel into the intake ports.

The system adjusts itself accordingly switching direct cylinder injection off and on depending to engine speeds.

As a result of this unique combination of the D-4S system and Boxer engine technology the 86's FA20 engine produces 147kW of power and 205Nm of torque.

As soon as he gets it he is coming to Rockhampton to show me (he lives 2 hours away from me). I will photograph as many sensors, etc, etc that I can.
Fred

Re: The new car

Post by Fred »

Acronym translate for you:

DI = PITA ;-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Dan

Post by Dan »

yes, it is interesting to read that they use both conventional injection and direct injection and switch the DI on/off based on engine speed.

I cant wait to take it for a drive and take a good look at the engine and ECU. :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Dan

Post by Dan »

Hmmm . . . . well my brother has been told officially by the manager of Toyota Australia via letter that his new car won't be expected to arrive till early 2013 due to supply/demand issues. They appear to have been snowed under with orders. I shall inform him of your link though Fred! It is an interesting read. Thanks for that.
Fred

Post by Fred »

No probs, sorry to be the one delivering the news. Though if he's getting a late delivery, then the issues should be solved. I hate to say it (in front of Subaru fans) but that's what you get when you put a Subaru engine in a Toyota instead of a Toyota engine! Toyota > Subaru.