Exhausting repairs!

Keep the fun and games in here for now please :-)
Fred

Exhausting repairs!

Post by Fred »

As some of you know, I took a 10 day break in Ireland in an old 96 carina/corona. The car is a fairly average thing to drive, but if you thrash it hard enough, it moves "OK" :-)

Linds my partner chopped second hard out of one corner to pass a tractor and suddenly the car emitted a deafening roar! the flange from the front part of the exhaust to the back half had cracked it's weld and the rear half was hanging down doing very little muffling.

Being a kiwi, I used 5 chunks of wood and 2 rocks found on the side of the road along with a small kitchen knife to fix it :-)

The first phase of the fix can be seen here :

The flange had broken off with about 2" of tube hanging past it, so I managed to wiggle it back in so that it just kinda sat together. The first hard shift would have ripped it out again, so I had to chock the engine from moving, and the exhaust too. One whittled piece of wood between the engine and mount at the front, and two with a cable tie that I had just thrown in my suitcase in NZ 10m before leaving for the airport randomly, and again, much the same just before leaving the house to ireland as it appeared on the floor by my desk. I also pulled the rubbers off a bit to hold it forward as well. We covered over 500 miles like that :-) well, mostly like that...

Young Linds came out of a corner hard on the gas in third somewhere in some mountains south of Dublin and didn't see a rather vicious bump which caused us to get some small air and bottom out the car on the road pretty badly. That ripped the piece of wood out and broke the cable tie... Luckily, I managed to wedge it back in behind the bumper then, and it stayed put all the way from there to the middle of the UK. Not a bad effort for a couple of bits of wood and no tools :-)

OK, that wasn't much of a story really, but I have a sad and boring life, so forgive me :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Re: Exhausting repairs!

Post by AbeFM »

Forgiven.

My c-clamp fell off on my wastegate actuator thing, and I didn't notice, and it didn't really matter.

You could learn something from my stories.
Fred

Post by Fred »

1 metre of dump pipe ending right below the front seats on a LONG road trip = major headaches, esp when driven hard. Hence, it mattered. Esp when we were trying to sleep in random farmers driveways etc without being noticed, 100+ DB of exhaust note is not the way to go unnoticed ;-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

I wasn't saying it wasn't loud. My c-clamp had nothing to do with anything. It was just there told hold something on and keep it from tilting. But instead, it fell off. So I ground it down and put it back on.

Then... It still didn't do anything.