malcom2073's EMStudio development thread. (Comments welcome)

Mike's cross-platform FreeEMS tuning application, written in C++ using QT. With Mike's natural coding talent and Fred's intimate requirement knowledge it went from concept to full tuning capability in just 8 weeks!
malcom2073
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: malcom2073's EMStudio development thread. (Comments welc

Post by malcom2073 »

ehb wrote:Great work! :)

Here's my report about the .deb in Ubuntu 12.04, not sure what's not stock.
Emstudio couldn't be installed because of dependency problems, of course :) See below:

Code: Select all

emstudio:i386 depends on libqt4-core (>= 4.8.0).
 emstudio:i386 depends on libqt4-declarative (>= 4.8.0); but:
  Package libqt4-declarative:i386 is not installed.
 emstudio:i386 depends on libqt4-gui (>= 4.8.0); but:
 emstudio:i386 depends on libqwt5-qt4 (>= 5.2.1); but:
 emstudio:i386 depends on libqt4-opengl (>= 4.8.0); but:
  Package libqt4-opengl:i386 is not installed.
 emstudio:i386 depends on libqjson0 (>= 0.7.1); but:
As dpkg -i won't install the dependencies, a apt-get install -f would be in order. This would install the following new packages:

libaudio2:i386 libmng1:i386 libmysqlclient18:i386 libqjson0:i386 libqt4-core:i386 libqt4-declarative:i386 libqt4-designer:i386 libqt4-gui:i386 libqt4-network:i386 libqt4-opengl:i386 libqt4-script:i386 libqt4-sql:i386 libqt4-sql-mysql:i386 libqt4-svg:i386 libqt4-test:i386 libqt4-xmlpatterns:i386 libqtgui4:i386 libqwt5-qt4:i386 
I didn't pursue any further because I'm sure some dependencies will change :) Or should I go ahead?
Please do, I'd like to know if I missed any dependancies when I built the list.
ehb wrote: Also: Please consider putting the .deb in a PPA somewhere, so the app can be updated easily from the start on. Also, then the dependencies could automatically be installed.
If someone wants to put a PPA up and tell me how to upload, I will, but otherwise I have too many other tasks on my plate.
ehb

Post by ehb »

Ok, I fixed the missing dependencies with apt-get install -f.

Then:

stefan@stefan-desktop:~$ emstudio 
emstudio: error while loading shared libraries: libqwt.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
package missing: libqwt6, so I did apt-get install libqwt6.

then...

stefan@stefan-desktop:~$ emstudio 
emstudio: error while loading shared libraries: libqwt.so.6: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
...I realized I use amd64 Ubuntu :)

Hadn't had the time to investigate further, hope that's a start.

Greets,
Stefan
Fred

Post by Fred »

I guess he'll have to build 64 bit debs too, or statically compile (YUCK!). It's not that you can't have 32 bit libs on your system, it's just that you don't. I thought they used multilib or whatever it's called, though?

Thank you very much for the feedback :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
ehb

Post by ehb »

Glad to be of help :)
The windows version installed and started without any problems btw! (under XP)
I've not tried a lot with it, but the buttons in the settings dialog are obscured by the lower window border. Small glitch, but I thought I'd mention it ;)

Concerning my request for a ppa: I meant some kind of repository. A normal debian repo would be preferred, here's a link on how to create those and what tools are needed: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/286
Looks like a ppa is a little different, but can be used in Debian too, with a script. Should work, but isn't nice.

Since I already had an account at launchpad.net and I remembered they also build binary packages, I tried importing the code from github to there, which worked, but unfortunately resulted in creating the project "emstudio" over there too. I'll be sure to delete the project there before it leads to confusion (as I sure am not the maintainer), but I might try to get their build service to work first. What it needs is a "build recipe" for bazaar (bzr), which I'm yet unsure how to create. Not sure I'll keep going that path, to be honest. :)
Fred

Post by Fred »

If you do the import at home locally, you can likely keep it updated, and push to bzr when you want to generate a new version. Though it would appear that it's not necessary. Mike has his CI box all setup and cooking with gas! Great :-) We just need to nag him to make it a 64 bit setup (given that he hates 32 bit stuff so much) and build both 64 and 32 code with it. Dave does that, though it's fairly complicated from what I can tell. Maybe the bzr thing is a nice way to do 64 bit builds automagically in the mean time?
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
ehb

Post by ehb »

I was able to compile an amd64 version with bzr locally after installing a few more dependancies that were required to compile. I took note of these dependancies, but that's on another computer that's off now, sorry :)
However, trying to compile at launchpad triggers a bug in bzr (at least that's what their buildlog says). Nothing I can fix, unfortunately :( This bug affects other people too at launchpad...
malcom2073

Post by malcom2073 »

ehb wrote:stefan@stefan-desktop:~$ emstudio
emstudio: error while loading shared libraries: libqwt.so.6: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
Yeah, sorry :) I need to do 64bit. I appriciate all the effort you've put into playing around with it!

Fred wrote:I guess he'll have to build 64 bit debs too, or statically compile (YUCK!). It's not that you can't have 32 bit libs on your system, it's just that you don't. I thought they used multilib or whatever it's called, though?
No static, I'll build 64bit debs eventually. My server is 32bit for undefined reasons, so I'll have to upgrade to do that.
ehb wrote:Glad to be of help :)
The windows version installed and started without any problems btw! (under XP)
YAY! :)
ehb wrote:I've not tried a lot with it, but the buttons in the settings dialog are obscured by the lower window border. Small glitch, but I thought I'd mention it ;)
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix it soon
ehb wrote:Since I already had an account at launchpad.net and I remembered they also build binary packages, I tried importing the code from github to there, which worked, but unfortunately resulted in creating the project "emstudio" over there too. I'll be sure to delete the project there before it leads to confusion (as I sure am not the maintainer), but I might try to get their build service to work first. What it needs is a "build recipe" for bazaar (bzr), which I'm yet unsure how to create. Not sure I'll keep going that path, to be honest. :)
As Fred said, that may be a good temp solution until I get my 64bit box going.
ehb wrote:I was able to compile an amd64 version with bzr locally after installing a few more dependancies that were required to compile. I took note of these dependancies, but that's on another computer that's off now, sorry :)
However, trying to compile at launchpad triggers a bug in bzr (at least that's what their buildlog says). Nothing I can fix, unfortunately :( This bug affects other people too at launchpad...
Or maybe it's not a good solution :). Anyone know if it's possible to build 64bit from a 32bit machine?
ehb

Post by ehb »

Maybe we'll get this launchpad build working afterall.
To compile emstudio with bzr, I had to install these packages on my desktop machine:
cdbs qt4-qmake libqt4-dev libqjson-dev libqwt6

Now launchpad chokes at missing cdbs files. cdbs needs to be in the compile dependancy list so that the launchpad boxes install it prior to compiling.
Preston

Post by Preston »

First of all nice work Malcom!

I have just installed EMStudio on one of my machines :) but it no work :cry:
I get an error message: Something has gone serious wrong, one of the commands timed out during interrogation. This should be properly investigated before continuing.

Hardware : Laptop

What other information can help with a solution?

Wickey
Preston.
Dan
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Dan »

Holy crap! Presto is alive after all! Glad to see you back mate.

Great work with emstudio too mate. Keep up the good work!