Medium Term Deprecation Of MTX For FreeEMS

MegaTunix is a cross-platform tuning application written and maintained by David J. Andruczyk. Discuss all things MTX here!
Fred

Medium Term Deprecation Of MTX For FreeEMS

Post by Fred »

Don't panic! In the short term MTX will continue to function. It can't and won't magically vapourise. Windows builds could be an issue depending upon what information preludelinux gathered for us, however mac and Linux users are fine.

Dave no longer wants to work with me to stay current, so I'm looking for a replacement tool for the long term. It's not feasible to heavily develop the firmware comms code, AND maintain compatibility, without working closely with the tuning software author. Therefore in a few months when 0.2.X is complete and 0.3.0 work begins, a new tool will be required. Such a tool will either need to be developed by me (not ideal) or someone else who IS accessible and easy to work with.

If you're interested in tackling this task, feel free to step up. I have a few ideas on how to proceed and will begin working on them for some cut of my available time on Monday.

Dave may well choose to support FreeEMS users as he has done with MS users, however as with MS users, to run MTX you'll _always_ be running an outdated version of the firmware. Thus, as with MS, it will become an unattractive option once there is something else available that stays current.

Shit happens! Dave's done a lot of work to get where he is, but the job ain't over yet, and he's not willing to cooperate, so he has to take a back seat. The MS team did the same thing years ago, but quietly (dishonestly). I'm not quiet; I'm up front and honest.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
dandruczyk
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Medium Term Deprecation Of MTX For FreeEMS

Post by dandruczyk »

Mtx is NOT abandoning FreeEMS. The only major things that have happened is that MegaTunix has it's own issue tracker located at http://megatunix.com/tracker, and the website is going through a rewrite, and that I won't necessarily be a regular visitor in IRC on #freeems-dev. The primary reason for the official issue tracker being created on http://megatunix.com/tracker are due to a difference of opinion on management styles. I'm more than happy to continue work on FreeEMS, issues will just need to be filed on the official MegaTunix tracker, and will be addressed with best effort. Fred and any other firmware contributors are more than welcome to contact me with code improvements, pull requests and so on, I just won't be as visible in the public forums due to current obligations.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Precisely, not committed or motivated to achieve excellence for the FreeEMS project. Many critical issues are six months plus old and have had nothing but whinging on them. MTX already lags the firmware in most areas and has only worked correctly at a low level for 3 or 4 months. I need all aspects of the firmware to get used, MTX can't achieve that, whatever the reasons. Something else will have to. I never said that you were abandoning it, just that you refuse to work closely enough to keep up.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I was going to put up a thread letting MTXers know about the new MTX dev IRC room, but when I tried to join to test it a few minutes ago I got this:

Code: Select all

#mtx-dev Cannot join channel (+i) - you must be invited
Which I had a few others verify for me. That's not an open development environment, nor the sort of behaviour that I want associated with FreeEMS.

Further to that, protocol support is around 50%, and data support around 20%, not really enough to expose the power of the system to FreeEMSers. The data aspect was agreed upon, but full protocol support and other key features have mostly been stalled for 6 months or so. The recent table export feature was a nice touch, but before that, nothing for ages.

:-/ :-( Pretty sad state of affairs.