Full Decoder Setup In Tunix?

MegaTunix is a cross-platform tuning application written and maintained by David J. Andruczyk. Discuss all things MTX here!
Fred

Full Decoder Setup In Tunix?

Post by Fred »

I came across these screen shots of some app watching the BMW 60-2 pattern and noticed that it actually recognises the pattern in the code on the PC. I thought that that is a nice feature. You could setup the Listener decoder on an engine, take a recording using the yet-to-be-written log type here and then run a set of algorithms over it and TELL the user which pattern they have and which firmware they need. Taken one step further you could load that firmware type for them, by name and allow the truly stupid to wire up an engine and not have to think. Personally I think that last step is a TERRIBLE idea, but it could be done.

You could actually take it a step further than this and report that it is in fact a 60 minus 2 but wired backwards as it is possible to determine that from the log. I intend to report a "wiring backwards" error from the decoder in real time too, however identifying it from a log while away from the car would be nice. And decoder could would be ULTRA easy to write in a PC app with no real time pressures and floating point math.

Ben Fenner actually suggested doing this sort of black magic in the firmware, but if done thoroughly for a large number of possible patterns and connections it would be unfeasible in a real time context, and regardless of that, it's a bad idea to assume what the user has. That should definitely be explicitly provided to the device as a setup parameter.

This thread could equally go in the OLV section. If no one else steps up, I may write a utility to do it at some point.

I would probably not give an answer, but rather a full listing with colourised results such that if there was any ambiguity it was clearly shown. The list could be sorted by result rather than name, and sub sorted by name.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
BenFenner
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Full Decoder Setup In Tunix?

Post by BenFenner »

If the firmware isn't going to do it, it would be pretty baller to be able to at least log the engine cranking, and then have the log application (or something else) parse the data and (at least) suggest the type of trigger wheel/situation you're dealing with. Along with things like "your wires are likely hooked up backwards" and such as you've mentioned.

Not high on my list of desires. Just one of those "this would make FreeEMS better than such and such EMS".
Fred

Post by Fred »

The firmware definitely is NOT going to do this, but yeah, a PC app absolutely could, and not at all hard to do, either! :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

A few more variations on the above:
  • Run each decoder over the data with different time tolerance levels N times
  • Run each decoder over the data with the pin state inverted and not inverted
  • List the number of times sync was gained/lost
  • 1 gain and 0 or 1 losses = "perfect match"
  • gains == losses && gains !=1 = "no match, bulk noise or multiple sequences in one recording"
  • number of iterations between losses = some large number = "good match"
  • If inverted signal matches, give advice to fix circuitry
  • Give advice on tolerance levels with the caveat that it depends what sort of data was fed in (cranking, revving, noise, etc)
etc.
Fred

Post by Fred »

For reference, Ben's original thread on doing this in firmware: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1148