Tuning Software User Stories - Discussion and Dev Questions

Free Open Source Software project discussion forum. Post your Free Open Source software projects here!
Fred

Re: Tuning Software User Stories - Discussion and Dev Questi

Post by Fred »

Haltech setup:

Note, the only good thing that I can see about this is the fact that the labels don't cover the entire graph, take note, Ben! :-p

Oh, and the snail trail that the vehicle leaves on the map. I'd probably give that a slider for transparency and a clear button, and another slider for how long it lasts (logarithmic?).

AEM, all of the stuff that would be easy to hard code exposed:

Project management, as Dave calls it:

Both also show name, value, unit in the list, which is good, but I don't like the format. I'd certainly consider right justifying the names, and letting the units hang off the back of the number, or be in brackets with the names.

A nice idea for bar graphs WITH numbers at the same time. I don't know if it's a practical solution, though. HORRIBLE table, though.

Next post has ideas from that conversation.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Re: Tuning Software User Stories - Discussion and Dev Questi

Post by Fred »

The biggest thing on the dyno is coolant temperature

Haltech's basic fuel map setup is fucking failure, tiny temp readout = suck

At first their (Haltech) modular tweakable dashboard setup looks trick, but honestly I take in data better in tabular and list form. v1 AEM aka GEMS is a perfect example. You can set warning triggers to light up boxes in red when they trip past a certain value.

Tabular fuel map in whatever format it's expressed (VE, pulsewidth, etc) with a list of data off to one side is great for me.

Very nice setup

The "display" bar across the top you can configure what sensors get logged. There is a peak recall feature you can turn on and off, shows up in red in the lower left of each box. The tabular fuel map in the middle, you can express it in injector duty % etc, and the 2D map to the right can also be displayed in 3D as well as appear below the fuel map instead of the side.
Also, and I love this, you can bring up a lambda/pressure log graph. When WOT, eCtune will log AFR and manifold pressure vs RPM, very much like the plots you get on a dyno but built into the tuning GUI.
Lefthand side, lists of data, if you scroll down it has every sensor/output the ECU can log... if you only need to check something once (IACV trim when tuning idle, set it then forget it) and not pay a lot of attention to it then it works out great. It's also easy to read down when playing back a datalog, instead of trying to add a 2D graph trace.
Most everything is 0 at bottom left, rpm incrementing to the right and pressure incrementing upwards. I think that way. The Honda stuff is 0 at upper left, rpsm increment downward and pressure goes up to the right. I don't even stumble when switching between the two.

I'm probably more flexible with things like that than most anyone you'll talk to. My complaints are if the software doesn't work, or makes things needlessly difficult.
List of Data to the left, with status and stuff like that. Display bar across the top where you can put bigger displays for the critical sensors of your choosing, and set them up to illuminate as a warning (coolant temp, AFR, etc)
Fred wrote:so far the main things that i've taken from what you've said are:

me: all gui components need to be stand alone and displayable in configured sets

and the black bar across the top wit the thresholds and min/max capture and status bits
Fred wrote:re the light up stuff
it would be nice to fully envelope that stuff
ie, "tune" a 3d table upper and lower bounds for a value and then go one colour on one side and another on the other
simple display, with complex and powerful backing

i like the inHg/PSI alternative axis
you could do mph in X gear next to the rpm too if it was useful.
By layers he means 3d table views of values with the same scale/size, comes back to what Ben said about identical axis lengths for each table:
Lambda log, whjere there is a second layer to the fuel table that populates each rpm vs load cell with an averaged AFR. A third layer with a target AFR for each cell, and a fourth that shows the desired change in fuel (+/- %) to bring actual into line with desired
IE, a real time autotune suggestion feature (as opposed to actually fucking with it) which makes some sense. You couldn't do it properly without a full data set at once, but you're definitely better off not fucking with things automatically as you go. If the user adjusts a cell you need to adjust your current recommendations to take that into account too, on the fly, as they do it.
him: Have the usual small/large increment/decrement keystrokes... CTRL+up and CTRL+down for small, etc. But have another keystroke open up an edit box
The edit box can + or - by a percentage to one or more highlighted cells, offset by a + or - fixed value, or fill with any single value of your choosing.
If you can choose to have the % adjustment function use (or ignore!) the recommended fuel change based off of lambda log vs target lambda, then it would be tits.
me: so arrows do what? navigate around the cells?
him: yes, that's pretty universal, intuitive to the n00b and expected by th veterans. Have the cursor navigate too
me: sure re cursor

OK, content officially dumped!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!