Tuning Software User Stories - Discussion and Dev Questions

Free Open Source Software project discussion forum. Post your Free Open Source software projects here!
Fred

Tuning Software User Stories - Discussion and Dev Questions

Post by Fred »

Put your stories themselves here!

Put your thoughts on others stories in here!

Devs, ask questions about user stories in here too!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Re: Tuning Software User Stories - Discussion and Dev Questions

Post by Fred »

Delta wrote:Users can lock the tune in the EMS
Stupid ozzy draconian car modding laws :-p I'm not even going to experiment with that until someone sends me a debugger. Too risky if I screw up and lock the flash... Also, if it's not about those laws, it's so not in the spirit of this site. If you and I had the same engine and I spent a year of my life creating this and you turned around and refused to share your tune publicly I'd be more than a little annoyed ;-)
Features which require a full flash/restart of EMS to update are highlighted/made obvious when changed
I agree, my suggestion was to change the entire background of the app to pink or something. It certainly needs to be obvious though.
Warnings appear if I try to do something that could damage my engine
Such as? Advance the timing in a certain cell 1* ? Or change the trigger angle at all? or what? Most stuff can harm the engine and I think the softened world we live in already has enough "wear a helmet on a bike" type warnings in it, don't you?

I thought most of those were obvious, but that's good as I tend to assume too much about things like this. It will be a good gauge to see how much of that Aaron was already planning :-)

Fred.
jbelanger
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by jbelanger »

Fred wrote:
Such as? Advance the timing in a certain cell 1* ? Or change the trigger angle at all? or what? Most stuff can harm the engine and I think the softened world we live in already has enough "wear a helmet on a bike" type warnings in it, don't you?
+1

Moreover, what can damage one engine will be fine for another if we're talking about value limits. So unless you enter all the limits for your specific engine this is pretty much useless.

Jean
Delta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by Delta »

jbelanger wrote:
Fred wrote:
+1

Moreover, what can damage one engine will be fine for another if we're talking about value limits. So unless you enter all the limits for your specific engine this is pretty much useless.

Jean
I was thinking more along the lines of not entering data in an area where there should be data or perhaps some simple messages about various features - IE what rev limiter types do - cutting fuel vs spark, don't cut spark on LPG engine or antilag may destroy your turbo use at own risk etc etc. Perhaps this isn't necessary - however the type of people you WILL get installing this type of thing may have much more electronic knowledge than mechanical knowledge - so it might be useful to at least have a few "are you sure" type messages.
Delta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by Delta »

Password protecting the flash/protecting the flash is something thats required for various reasons. Yep I'd be pissed too if someone didn't want to share a tune - I've shared mine to every other e-series owner who wanted to have a look. I'm more concerned about the safety of the car - ie I want to be able to set the rev limiter/boost cut at 4000rpm/5psi boost and then password protect it so a workshop can't turn them off and thrash my car. I have in cabin adjustable boost -and you can adjust it WAY past where its safe, so having a password protected flash is a good idea - especially if you have a hand controller in the car (which I don't).
Fred

Post by Fred »

Ahhh, OK, yes, I'm intending that the firmware data definitions will hold detailed descriptions for everything. I think it's up to the interface designer to implement an "are you sure" for launch control etc, though I *could* put a boolean saying "implement confirm" for this, I think that would be dirtying the interface somewhat.

I agree that password protect would be nice. I could pretty easily implement something to lock the device to all but unlock packet types, but it wouldn't hard protect it from BDM changes. If you want to do that you need to get more serious :-)

Having said that,

A) who of a DIY nature lets a workshop of ANY sort touch their baby? That's like leaving your 13 year old daughter with a known kiddy fiddler for the night while you go out on the piss.

B) if you do leave your baby with a workshop, you should trust them as they could still do it plenty of harm without exceeding 4k.

C) I know a guy that dropped his clubsport off for some suspension warranty work and found it had about 250km on it when he got it back, I also know a workshop that had a few siezed engines and boxs that mysteriously had no oil in them. No, it wasn't me, but it is a true story. Same guy chained his mates diff to a building with about 20m of slack, nearly put him through the windscreen (that's his idea of a joke, imagine what he does if pissed off...) ie, workshops like that will get whats coming to them sooner or later.

Good suggestions :-)

Fred.
sry_not4sale
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by sry_not4sale »

The locking is an interesting point. At first I thought password locking was a great idea. However, now I think about it. If you don't want people messing with your tune/settings, dont leave the tuning device pluggin in!
Owner / Builder: 1983 Mazda Cosmo 12at (1200cc 2-rotor turbo) coupe [SPASTK]
165hp @ 6psi standard - fastest production car in japan Oct 82
Fred

Post by Fred »

The trouble is that its open source, so everyone knows how to tune and adjust it (or will do). The only saving grace there is that most people won't even know where to start, esp with the custom hardware and nothing saying what it is and a serial system that ignores all but the correct packets ;-)

If someone knows what it is they can fiddle it unless it is locked somehow.

Fred.
Fred

Re: Tuning Software User Stories - Discussion and Dev Questi

Post by Fred »

My story is a short one, I thought there was a better place for this, if you know it, I'll move it there. The story starts with a conversation about tuning software and features a pro that I know requires. Part way through arrived some screenies, so I'm going to summarise them here so that I can close the tabs in my browser:

His desires were:
  • Settable axis and value units (psi, inHg, kPa, etc), (RPM, MPH, KPH), (VE/Lambda, Effective PW)
  • A textual display of all values that he wants to see
  • Programmable colours for that textual display
  • A more obvious graphical display with colour thresholds in it
  • Select block of cells and set, increment, scale
  • Have the tuner record rough autotune data and display in a table the same style quickly swappable between
  • Traces log viewer style available in same screen
  • Table in the middle
  • Configurable location of everything
Also visible in these shots:
  • tune snapshots list window
  • error code/message list window
  • broken 2d table edit with data/graph not matching
  • LED style status indicators
  • Tree list of configuration parameters for directory like access (I like this, freeems supports this natively)
  • 3d graph
  • colourising configurability of both 2d and 3d maps (should be independent of each other, i would implement with colour profiles and share them between various displays)

OK, enough of that for now, just gathering ideas :-)

I might review the conversation again in more detail and post again here later.

Fred.
Fred

Re: Tuning Software User Stories - Discussion and Dev Questi

Post by Fred »

Oh, and the features list for the above app:

http://www.ectune.com/eCtune/AboutFeatu ... fault.aspx