Tuning Software User Stories

Free Open Source Software project discussion forum. Post your Free Open Source software projects here!
Fred

Tuning Software User Stories

Post by Fred »

The other threads take the approach that not only do you know what you want to do, but you also know how you want to do it, and how you want the app to behave and how you want the app to look.

This gives you a lot of credit. Something that "you" don't always deserve :-)

A more modern approach to software development is to ask the users to tell you stories about how they intend to use the product. Then you the developer translate that into the how/what/etc in a more free and less restricted way.

Basically you treat the users as if they are idiots and children :-)

With this intro I reckon this thread will be a hive of activity LOL (read no one will post) although, the "xyz for dummies" books sure took off didn't they??!!

Here is a link or two on user stories :

http://www.agilemodeling.com/artifacts/userStory.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_story

So, I guess I (being an idiot) better kick this off :
Fred The Idiot wrote:I want to be able to switch between serial monitor mode and FreeEMs mode without turning off the ignition of the car. I also want to be able to reset the FreeEMS to make it pick up changes to flash only config without turning off the key. Sometimes I want a reset to pick up the serial monitor switch and sometimes I don't.
OK, so perhaps that was more than one story, but they are pretty closely related. Instead of giving Aaron the freedom to do what the hell he wanted on this front, I asked for a big red button. This got the job done and quickly, but not necesarily in the best possible way. Describing what I wanted rather than how to achieve it would have afforded him more freedom in how to achieve it even if the basic tools for the job are the same 3 packet sequences no matter what. The code and GUI in between could be almost anything :-)

Right, your turn, tell us some tuning stories, preferably very short unlike my poor example.

I'll start a thread next to this for the developer(s) to ask you details of your stories such that this one remains pure and uncluttered :

Place your comments and questions about the stories below in here!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Delta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Tuning Software User Stories

Post by Delta »

This is going to be very difficult - but I'll start with some basics :)

Tuning is done by entering data into tables
Tuning tables have definable resolution and headings
Tuning tables are on the same pages as live engine feedback which relates to the table
After entering a number into a tuning table the ECU immediately updates
Users can lock the tune in the EMS
I can save a tune currently in the EMS to disk
I can load a tune from disk to the EMS
I can save EMS live data to disk
I can open saved data from disk to view graphs of the data
When I turn on the ignition with the tuner attached it gives me the option of getting the tune from the EMS
Features which require a full flash/restart of EMS to update are highlighted/made obvious when changed
Warnings appear if I try to do something that could damage my engine
The software shows me what EMS type is attached

I think thats enough to get the ball rolling.
tpsretard
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by tpsretard »

I had a look at some of the sofware you posted screen shots too.

I have used many many interfaces and what i would say is this. HALTECH IS WORST THAN anything ever conceived.

The AEM (GeMs) interface might not look the best as it stands, however from an actually tuning stand point it is one of the best i have ever used.
The Bar graphs and numbers are very easy to see with a glance, the table and how you interact with it is also very intuitive with very little experience and learning.
Fred

Post by Fred »

tpsretard wrote:The AEM (GeMs) interface might not look the best as it stands, however from an actually tuning stand point it is one of the best i have ever used.
The Bar graphs and numbers are very easy to see with a glance, the table and how you interact with it is also very intuitive with very little experience and learning.
Can you please explain/specify that intuitive table interface in detail so that we can emulate it in future products and future versions of existing products?
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!